Senior Optical Engineer (2531370338)
Senior Optical Engineer or Optical Scientist
About Metamaterial Inc.
META is a publicly traded nanotechnology company which is in the process of becoming the first metamaterials tech company listed on the NASDAQ exchange. META delivers previously unachievable performance, across a range of applications, by inventing, designing, developing, and manufacturing sustainable, highly-functional materials. Our extensive technology platform enables leading global brands to deliver breakthrough products to their customers in consumer electronics, augmented reality, 5G communications, health and wellness, aerospace, automotive, and clean energy. META’s achievements have been widely recognized, including being named a Global Cleantech 100 company. Learn more [Register to View]
About the role
We are seeking several Senior Optical Engineers and Optical Scientists (including Principal and Junior positions) for our state of the art facility in Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. You will be a key member of the expanding Optics team that develops new technologies and products for applications in augmented reality and scientific instruments. Your role will be to develop concepts and hardware for prototyping and manufacturing new optical devices based on holographic optical elements (HOEs). You will be working hands-on within a diverse, multi-disciplinary team to develop HOEs for high performance imaging systems. The ideal candidate has extensive experience developing new concepts for optical systems matched with the practical skills to bring them to life.
- Provide expert level optical engineering expertise towards the development of holographic optical components and sub-systems for head mounted displays (HMDs), head-up displays (HUDs) and scientific instrument applications.
- Lead hands-on assembly, testing and debugging of custom hardware systems for development and manufacturing.
- Work with internal and external stakeholders to develop product concepts and designs that address market needs.
- Characterize the performance of optical products relative to the design goals; design and construct the necessary metrology systems.
- Identify causal relationships between observed product performance and the design parameters.
- Monitor and communicate to the team industry development and trends.
- Communicate results through technical reports and presentations tailored to the needs of the target stakeholders.
- Supervise junior members of the engineering team.
Required Skills and Experience
- Hands-on experience implementing and testing optical devices and systems, particularly holographic and diffractive optical devices.
- Extensive experience constructing and validating models of optical devices and sub-systems.
- Experience in process control, data acquisition, and data analysis in Python (preferred) or Matlab, R or Julia.
- Proficiency with optical design tools and modelling methods (e.g. Zemax, VL Fusion, Comsol, Lumerical).
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation skills.
- An MSc or PhD in Physics, Applied Physics, Optics, EE, or related field, is required.
- All experience levels will be considered, for the Junior titles a minimum of 2 years, for the Senior title a Minimum 5 years and for the Principle title a minimum of 8 years of experience with optical engineering and/or applied optics. Any industrial experience developing products based on new technologies will be a plus.
Professional Standards and Performance Review: As an experienced professional, the Optical Engineer or Optical Scientist will maintain high professional standards and act in accordance with best practice. They will support the development of the professional standards of the team and take a continuous approach to improvement and their own personal development. As a representative of the Company, the Optical Engineer or Optical Scientist will act in line with the Company Code of Conduct and will participate in the performance review process.
Almost every great advancement in technology can be attributed to a breakthrough in materials science.
To Make Every Product Smarter and More Sustainable by Utilizing Light and Advanced Materials
To democratize nanotechnology and help improve human life.
To change the way we use, interact with and benefit from light.
Our Core Values:
We create materials that improve and add value to technology and purpose-built products. They are elegant solutions to complex problems. Every material we develop for our customers has a practical application. Whether it traps, bends, blocks, senses or otherwise manipulates light, it does so with purpose.
“What’s possible” is a line we love crossing. Our inventive, imaginative spirit drives beyond perceived roadblocks. We are diving deep into revolutionary tech to shed light on new possibilities.
We take a clean approach to technology. Sustainability is key to everything from the materials we create, to the suppliers we use, to how we operate every day.
We go beyond to innovate and perfect advanced materials. We seek to better our world through the power of light.
We believe in the relentless pursuit of excellence in execution – working with urgency, innovation and passion. Excellence is always intentional. Our success as individuals and as an organization depends on how consistently we can bring this value to life.
META is most decidedly an equal opportunities employer. We want applicants of diverse background and hire without regard to race, color, gender, religion, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are proud to part of the initial 500 early adopter companies of the 50 – 30 Challenge, an initiative by the Government of Canada to help businesses meet the diversity and inclusion goals.