Chemist Internship Program – Geochemistry (3-year Program – Chemist to Sr. Chemist) (2531372811)
- Competency test at the end of year 1
- Development projects assigned
- Must be qualified trainers for area of specialization
- Competency tests (2) mid-year and end of year 2
- Start BC Assayers program by mid-year
- First operational by mid-year
- Must be qualified to sign off on data by mid-year
- Responsible to conduct quality investigations and audits
- Technical development project
- Supervision and management training – TBD
- Competency test – mid-year
- Complete BC Assayers certification
- ISO 17025 Internal Auditor Course
- Perform laboratory techniques according to written procedures, following the company’s Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s).
- Duties may include data collection, sample reception, sample preparation, sample reduction, sample dilutions, setting up analytical batches and analysis, batch quality control, approving and releasing results to the data centre, disposal of samples and filing of lab results/data.
- Calibration and set up of equipment prior to analysis.
- Maintain and record equipment calibrations.
- Interpret and evaluate all results.
- Carries out routine equipment maintenance under the direction of the departmental Supervisor and Senior/Chief Chemists.
- Regularly meets with an assigned mentor to gain business knowledge, personal development skills, problem solving/conflict resolution skills, and knowledge of strengths and areas for improvement.
- Network effectively and take initiative to determine rotation opportunities and eventual placement, taking into consideration the needs of the business.
- Actively participates in training and development opportunities.
- Maintains a clean working environment.
- Follows all company health, safety and environmental policies.
- May be asked to work in other areas of the Geochemistry laboratory sections when required.
- May be assigned and coordinate special or ad hoc projects as needed.
- To provide technical advice and support to the Operations Manager, and/or Technicians as required for problems relating to current analytical methods. Periodically, assist in the review of all existing methods of analysis utilized in their area with the Operations Manager and/or Senior Chemists.
- Facilitate the assurance that quality standards are being used and the most effective methods are being carried out for the analysis.
- To help develop and validate new methods of analysis with the Senior Chemists in cases where clients require specific methods to be used or where more efficient methods of analysis have been identified.
- From literature, research and ongoing training, to work with the Operations Manager and Senior Chemists in staying updated on any changes in technology and methodology that may affect the business interests of the company.
- A post-secondary education (diploma) in a Science related program (Chemistry, Metallurgy, Instrumentation) is required.
- Over one year up to and including 3 years’ experience in a geochemical analysis related field as a Technician or Chemist (XRF, Party/Umpire, ICP-MS, ICP-OES, Wet-AAS, Fire Assay and Carbon-Sulfur).
- Must be able to comply with travel requirements of up to 50% of time, during and after the completion of the three year program.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills in the supervising of small technical teams, ideally including the supervision of people in a minerals related laboratory. Previous experience using laboratory instruments and the ability to operate and trouble-shoot them.
- Knowledge of good laboratory practices and good management practices.
- Must be able to read, understand and follow work instructions in a safe, accurate and timely manner.
- Candidates must be proficient in using various types of computer software (Word, Excel. PowerPoint & Outlook).
- Proven ability to manage and coordinate multiple projects in a fast-paced, highly professional environment.
- Candidates must demonstrate excellent verbal and written communication skills including grammar and composition.
- Ability to work well with others & independently.
- Proven time management skills and a strong attention to detail.
- Works well under pressure.
- Extended hours and shift work may be required from time to time.
- Travel to other SGS locations or client location may be required from time to time.
- Ensures full compliance with the company’s Health & Safety, Code of Integrity, and Professional Conduct policies.
SGS Canada is an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to achieving greater accessibility by providing accommodation for people with disabilities during our hiring process. Accommodations are available on request for qualified candidates during each stage of the recruitment process.
Please note that candidates applying for Canadian job openings should be authorized to work in Canada.